Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Something Wicked This Way Comes


This Friday I am going to see the musical Wicked (I’m very excited) and so I thought I’d focus today’s post on… Witches! The beautiful and the hideous, the evil and benevolent, the famous and obscure who doesn’t love a Witch.


Morgan Le Fay by Frederick Sandys.

















Circe by John William Waterhouse.






















Medea by Alphonse Mucha.


































Baba Yaga by Ivan Bibilin.


















And here are a couple of pictures of witches in film;

The two states of the witch in Disney’s Snow White (1937).






Tilda Swintion as the White Witch in Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005).


Michelle Pfeiffer as Lamia in Stardust (2007).


What I find most interesting in depictions of witches is the variation. Some are truly stunning others grotesque, they can be extremely powerful or just petty. Peoples understanding of witches has changed a lot since Circe and will continue to evolve as we add new meanings and images to those already existing. That’s just my opinion of course.

Enjoy!

To keep up to date with the words and pictures I'm sharing now head on over to my new website, www.sarahfallon.net.  I'm talking readingwriting and all kinds of daydreamy things.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...